Sunday, March 7, 2010

04 - Your Favourite Book.


"And the people in photographs always seem a lot happier than you are". Photography - the art of capturing a moment and the power to hold it forever in your hand. Of course it was something I'd be interested in. It was bound to be, I think. Some people are happy. Some people don't worry, they don't ask 'Why?'. I'm not happy, I'm not happy by nature. That's why Photography captured my heart. I guess I think it's important for me to hear that click, to smell those chemicals and to spend hours in the dark. That's how I know I'm happy, how I know those around me are content. No one wants to capture the sadness. 

'The Perks of Being a Wallflower', by Stephen Chbosky. It's my favourite book, not for the above quote alone, although it was almost enough to win me over. Charlie, the narrator of the story, I can relate to him - being an unconventional thinker. I hate re-reading books. I read a book once and then file it away, in my mind and in my, you could almost say library at this stage. With this book though, you can read it from a different angle every time. I've read it six times. Yes, I counted, and each time, I found another little gem of inspiration. That's what writing should be - tiny fragments of brilliance, hidden away in black and white, waiting to be uncovered. 

"I was looking at the old photographs, and I started thinking that there was a time when these weren't memories". Sometimes I look at photographs when it feels like happiness has just gotten that little bit too far away. I can hold a photograph in my hand, hold a smile and know that there was really a time when everything was good. That makes it easier to believe it will happen again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment