Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Subh millis, by Séamus Ó Néill.

"Bhí subh milis
Ar bhaschrann an dorais
Ach mhúch mé an corraí
Ionam d'éirigh,
Mar smaoinigh mé ar an lá
A bheas an baschrann glan,
Agus an láimh bheag
Ar iarraidh."



I think I first read this poem when I was in school, maybe it was part of the Irish Junior Cert curriculum. Anyway, I came across it again today and I decided I'd stick it here so I don't forget about it again, because I really love it. 


Roughly translated, it means: 
"There was jam
On the door handle
But I suppressed the anger
That rose up in me
Because I thought of the day
That the door handle would be clean
And the little hand 
Would be gone."


It really scares me how quickly time goes by, and how all we're left with is millions of memories, some of which we will just never be able to re-play as brightly as they were first time 'round. I think it's important to appreciate the little things, because some day, they too, like everything else, will be gone. 



2 comments:

  1. "And it seems so frightening,
    Time passes by like lightning"

    ^So true.
    And so so scary :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem - well translated.

    ReplyDelete